Lunches and Healthy Eating
Lunch Order Service
At Dominican School we do not have a canteen onsite. Our Lunch Order Service is provided by Ruga's Cafe located on Victoria Road, Taperoo.
Orders can be placed Monday to Friday via the Qkr! App and are delivered to the students classrooms.
What is 'Nude Food'?
Simply put, it’s food without excess packaging. Usually, this means food that is not processed, often making it a healthier and more environmentally friendly option. Or food which is taken out of it's packaging and placed in reusable containers.
At Dominican School we encourage students and staff to embrace the Nude Food initiative as a way to reduce our plastic waste. Every classroom has a composting bin for organic waste as well paper and cardboard recycling bins.
Tips for Nude Food:
- AVOID cling-wrap, zip-lock or plastic bags, foil, single use cutlery or pre-packaged foods.
- Involve children in packing/making their own lunch and snacks – they’re more likely to eat it.
- If mornings are busy, pack food the night before and keep it in the fridge.
- Ask children what they like to eat at school/ preschool and how much time they have to eat (it may be different and much less than at home).
- Try making your own snacks- check out the Nude Food Recipes on the WOW Nude Food page.
- Many snack items can be bought in bulk and decanted into smaller reusable containers. This can reduce packaging and save money.
Examples of Nude Food
Nude Food includes a wide array of options, as long as there is no extra packaging. This could include:
- A sandwich in a reusable container
- A sectioned lunch box with snacks in compartments
- Yoghurt in a reusable container
- Muesli bars and snack in reusable containers and wraps
- Nuts and berries in a reusable container
Information provided from KESAB environmental solutions website